Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 16:33:28 -0500
From:      "Dale Anderson" <danderso@crystalsugar.com>
To:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

   So, your saying that FreeBSD can read in the binary and begin executing =
machine instructions without any processing in between, or is the kernel =
doing some sort of interpertation of the instructions to make then run =
properly?????  I'm just not that familiar with "Linux Binary Compatibility.=
"

>>> "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> 05/05/99 04:27PM >>>
>    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Not bright enough to =
understan
d ????"   What  us IT people mean, is that running an application under =
emulati
on means it will run a little slower, as that middle abstraction layer has =
to e
mulate and that takes CPU cycles.  Another reason is that if you talk to =
some s

Like I said in another posting, "emulation" is not the correct term to
be using here then since no "middle abstraction layer" is being used in
the case of Linux binary compatibility (see, there's the new phrase you
should be using right there :).

- Jordan