Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 21:31:52 -0400
From:      "Michel Joly de Lotbiniere" <mjdl@interlog.com>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Functional differences between various 486 CPUs

I can't answer your question except in the case of the AMD 100MHz part:
this is the 3.5 V part which I have, and I believe it would die
a miserable death in a 5 V board. I certainly know nothing about
the voltage converter sockets advertised, but given that they cost
~$30 Canadian, I'd stick that into a new low voltage m'board and go
with the AMD 100MHz part. You will be pleasantly surprised by
the performance you get. Not a Pentium, to be sure, but as quick
as most of us need--unless you simply must drag-race computers
(an understandable obsession, I suppose, in the dying years of
a techno-crazy century).

But, there is a "PC Chiplist" document (in several parts) posted
at regular intervals to the comp.pc.ibm.hardware group (or whatever its
go-for-barocco name is), and archived under that group at your
nearest FAQ site.

It will unveil the un-intel-igent truth about all these processors.

Happy bit-blasting

Michel Joly de Lotbiniere
mjdl@interlog.com