Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 10:58:08 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, bos-owner-br@sekure.org
Subject:   Re: suid/guid

In message <xzpso6xrcen.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
: I think it would be an excellent idea... it would also make sense to
: document how the program will behave if it is not s[ug]id and how much
: of the functionality will be lost.

Agreed.  I'm also starting to think that a system-wide tunable that
would turn off almost all of the set[ug]id installation.  Almost
nobody needs setuidperl, for example.  If df is installed w/o setgid
operator, almost no functionality is lost.  etc.  Of course exatly
what would be lost would be documented.  Comments?

Warner

P.S.  This is more of a failsafe option.  As far as I know there are
no bugs that will result in an elevated level of privs in the set*id
programs.