Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 01:22:27 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Orinoco RG-1000

Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com> probably said:
> I don't recommend them. They're like the (1st gen) Apple Airport, but
> with some rather silly firmware restrictions -- you can't change the
> network name and such.

Strongly seconded. I've also seen a lot of them turn into bricks (be
about as useful for passing packets as a brick).

> You'd do much better to get a Prism II PCI card (available from various
> manufacturers, including NetGear, Linksys, USR, SMC) and put it in a
> FreeBSD machine and use the HostAP functionality. You'd be able to set
> up your own firewall and/or NAT and/or file service and/or IPv6 gateway
> and/or whatever.

Well, IMO that depends if you already have a machine you want to leave
turned on, how much money you want to spend, etc. I find it more
convenient to have small dedicated wireless hardware, others find it
better/cheaper to use cards and HostAP. Preference thing. If you're
just experimenting then HostAP is certainly cheaper.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu