Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:30:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Outdated rdist in FreeBSD Base

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Sue Blake wrote:

> But what of the site that has scores of servers that have been using
> rdist for years, that upgrades FreeBSD and finds that a system failure
> is due to rdist suddenly being absent, installs the new program named
> rdist with the higher version number, changes the scripts to suit it,
> and has two consecutive nights of failed crons before discovering that
> the two "versions" of rdist are different programs?

They should read the release notes before upgrading (presumably this would
be committed there).

> If 50 machines of various types suddenly have to have a new rdist
> compiled on each of them, this represents a real $ cost. At least it'd
> be nice to know before the incident rather than after, and the forced
> solution should involve changing the least number of machines.

Packages are a nice low-budget solution to the problem of software
installation :-)

> demanding that FreeBSD systems upgrade, you're demanding that all of
> them be upgraded or risk multiple failures. That's a big ask.

But surely thats what the rdist5 port would solve? If there are protocol
incompatabilities (and csg seems to think otherwise) then you or someone
who understands the issues just needs to write up something for the
handbook, stick a pointer to it in RELNOTES.TXT, and people with legacy
installations will know to install rdist5, not rdist6.

Kris

----