Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:47:49 -0500
From:      Claude Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dumb terminal on db9 serial port

I can't seem to get a login prompt on a wyse 60 connected to a 486dx2
running freebsd 3.4. I read the documentation:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/term.html
and these are the steps I have accomplished so far:

1. made sure both my db9 serial ports are recognised properly in dmesg:
# dmesg | grep sio
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A

2. edited the following lines in /etc/ttys
ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200" wy60 on secure
ttyd1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200" wy60 on secure

3. forced init to re-read /etc/ttys
kill -HUP 1

4. wired my own null-modem cable (double-checked using a multi-meter),
taken from:
http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.2

PC DB9                                 Terminal DB25
RxD   Receive Data        2 <-- 2      TxD   Transmit Data
TxD   Transmit Data       3 --> 3      RxD   Receive Data
SG    Signal Ground       5 --- 7      SG    Signal Ground
CTS   Clear To Send       8 <--20      DTR   Data Terminal Ready
RTS   Request To Send     7 --> 6      DSR   Data Set Ready

5. connected the wyse terminal to the first serial port and made sure
the terminal was also set to 19200 bps (also tried the second serial
port)

At that point, I would expect to get a login prompt or at least some
garbage on the dumb terminal, but no such luck. What could be the
problem?

Marc