Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:48:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      shawnlkennedy@lucent.com (Shawn L Kennedy)
To:        adaml@visimation.com, shawnlke@ih2mail.ih.lucent.com (Shawn L Kennedy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DHCP/DNS question

>Hi Shawn,
>
>Don't forget to CC the list...

Sorry about that - wrong button ....... :-(

>>  > > > > I'm confused (nothing new :-) as to what changed
>> > > > >
>> > If DHCP and DNS are windoze, you can have the network
>> > admins manually
>> > create a host and pointer record for your machine on the
>> > DNS server,
>> > and then create a client reservation on the DHCP server
>> > using your MAC
>> > address.  Just a thought if you can't get the dynamic
>> > registration to
>> > work.
>> >
>> > Adam Lofstedt
>>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> The DNS and DHCP machines are very large Solaris machines.
>> The DNS engineer said they did take an update to bind to
>> version 8.  Does that help anyone?
>>
>> Shawn
>>
>BIND 8 should support dynamic dns, and it sounds like the Linux machines
>are doing fine with it.  I saw in a BIND newsgroup once IIRC that
>non-windows clients could try nsupdate, or some command like that.
>Maybe someone else could help here, that's all I've got.

nsupdate looks intriguing, but I haven't stumbled on the right
combo of usage to getwhat I want.  I gt back an error about the
"Messge too long" and that the operation timed out.

I tried this:

nsupdate -d
> update delete not_my_name.lucent.com A
> update add myname.lucent.com 3600 A 135.aaa.bbb.ccc

Didn't seem to work.

Again, the DNS and DHCP are Sun Enterprise machines
running (minimally) Solaris 2.8.

This is driving me a bit nuts.... :-)

Shawn