Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:02:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scanner for FreeBSD

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> I'm going to buy a scanner working with FreeBSD.
> I run 4.6-STABLE. What kind of interface should I use:
> SCSI, USB, LPT?

SCSI is fast, although maybe not faster than USB depending on the
scanner.  USB only works with some scanners through SANE.  Avoid
parallel for anything other than printers.

When I was looking for a scanner some months back, it looked like Epson
was among the few scanner makers that had cooperated with developing
drivers for their USB scanners.  So I got an Epson 1640.  It works fine.
See the SANE page at

http://www.mostang.com/sane

Under the Supported Scanners link, there are links for parallel and USB
scanners, but remember that these might not all apply for FreeBSD.  And
not all models from a given manufacturer will be compatible.

I posted a note here yesterday about setting up a USB scanner with SANE.
Check the archives for it, or I can send it to you.