Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:33:44 +0100
From:      Julian Stacey <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports 1021 1022 1023 & 587 ?

Thanks to all for useful answers,
inc. Dave Raven & Christopher Schulte Re.
	sockstat
	/usr/ports/sysutils/lsof

Andrew McNaughton:
Sorry, my last mail was misleading through ommision; what I didn't say :
	I'd run portscanner from an internal host or localhost
	(can't remember which), but not an external host (yet): so although
	I could see those ports & wanted to know what they were,
	they are blocked from external access by my last deny rule.
	(So I'm not offering unknown ports to the world, but thanks.)

Dag-Erling Smorgrav:
> The portmapper allocates ...
Thanks, that's worth documenting in src/etc/services.

> Why on earth are you running nfs, amd and lpd on a firewall?

[Blush] Temporary arrangement:
	Only to other equal status alternate hardware fallback
	firewalls, not to internal hosts, & blocked by ipfw from
	outside, but yes, know what you mean, that will cease as
	I transition from mainly off line firewall to permanently
	connected firewall.  lpd has an even less convincing excuse.

Gregory Neil Shapiro
> FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl
Thanks, I'll look at that.

Diff to 4.5 etc/services if someone wants to commit to help others avoid
repeating my question, or would anyone second a submit via send-pr ?
24a25,26

> # To find which processes have got ports open: sockstat & ports/sysutils/lsof.
1060c1062
< submission	587/udp
---
> submission	587/udp   # initial sendmail, unless FEATURE(`no_default_msa')
1233a1236,1240