Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 11:47:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Stephen Mathezer <mathezer@newera.ab.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   More on my iijppp problems (routing)

OK, lets see if I can explain this coherently.

I start up "ppp -auto" in my rc.local.  This adds a default route through
tun0 to my router.

If I then try to connect inbound to the FreeBSD machine, "ppp -demand" is
started no problem.  It states in the ppp.log that it is using tun1 but
it tries to use the route through tun0.  ("route get myrouter"
returns a route through tun0)  Naturally any outbound packets
vanish.

I have experimented quite a bit with and discovered the following:

If I start "ppp -auto" in rc.local but then do a "route flush" when I log
in then everything works beautifully... almost.  Obviously I can't dial
out in this situation but if I connect inbound it works no problem.  Once
I drop this connection, I can now try to connect outbound again and it
succeeds, changing the route from tun1 to tun0 in the process.  If I drop
the line, any subsequent connections in either direction work, switching
the route appropriately.

Why then will my initial inbound connection not properly switch the route
from tun0 to tun1?  I suppose I could make the ppplogin shell a setuid
_program_ which first does the route flush and then execs ppp but that is
pretty ugly.

What is going on here?

-Steve