Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:11:59 -0700
From:      "Unice, Kyle" <kyle.unice@intel.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Newbie net config question

I just purchased freebsd 4.1 and am trying to set up an "invisible" network
in my lab using natd and firewall_type="simple".

I want my internal network to be "192.168.x.x" and use my single isp IP
address for the external internet network.
I have built a kernel using the directions in the book for a gateway and and
a firewall.  I have also followed the directions for setting up
natd and a firewall of simple type.  Well it doesn't work.  I searched the
net and found a few articles on the problem from july of this year.  I tried
applying the changes and now I can ping a few more ip addresses but it is
not being the gateway I would expect and I get lots of "permission denied"
messages when doing things.

Questions:
1. Is there some kindoff document for FreeBSD 4.1 on how to do this?
2. Should the IP Gateway for my local net (192.168.x.x) have a gateway
address of 192.168.x.y that is the IP address of my internal network nic on
the gateway or should the gateway for both nics be set to my ISPs gateway?

This is my goaround with FreeBSD... I heard it was fast so I wanted to give
it a spin.

Thanks ahead of time for any help,
Kyle

Viewpoints, opinions, and content are my own and not necessarily those of
Intel Corp.