Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:27:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@icubed.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   UPDATE:   FreeBSD 4.3 --> pits

Cheese...  If people would READ the posts instead of accusing the
posters of bashing FBSD.  FBSD is my O/S of choice on my home PC.
I have been using it since 3.5 and have had absolutely no problems
until I loaded 4.3.

Thanks to those that tried to help via emails.  As an experiment I
reloaded 4.2 w/o any selected packages and w/o X.  Install time was 15
minutes.  Definitely not a hardware problem. I then installed 4.3 w/o
any selected packages and w/o X. Install time was 35 minutes.  More
than twice the 4.2 install.

I then opened up a second terminal (in 4.3) and issued a "top".  I
went back to first terminal and ran /stand/sysinstall, selected all
of the  XFree86 4.0 packages I could find and started the install.  Lo
and  behold it was NOT a hardware  problem as some suspected.  I
appears that pkg_add copies the file  from the CD to some temp file.
This copy is very quick.  The "top" command show that problem is with
"gzip/tar/mtree/rm" commands that are being executed by the pkg_add
command.

I have a 300Mz PIII system with 192MB ram.  The "top" command
indicates that I have 10MB active, 145MB inactive, and the rest was
allocated to buffers etc.  Why is 145MB inactive?  This is not the
case in 4.2.  Also the CPU is 98% idle during the whole process.
Again why? The "gzip/tar/mtree/rm" commands are using 0.01% of the
CPU. Is this normal?  I don't believe this low CPU usage is the norm
in 4.2 either.  The bigger the files the more time it took for the
whole pkg_add process.  The /stand/sysinstall status line was
reporting the "Package xxxx was successfully read, waiting for
pkg_add(1)".  I left the system installing and went to bed.  I took
all night to load the selected XFree86 packages.

The whole install of 4.2 with XFree86, Gnome, KDE, and other selected
packages took less than an hour.

Again I'm not BASHING FBSD, I'm only trying to find out why 4.3 is such
a dog on my home PC.

--
-=[cwa]=-