Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:30:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.2 port is a horror!!

On 27 Mar 2002, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

:>mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu> writes:
:>
:>> If done correctly, there is no need to reinstall anything.
:>...
:>> The best way I've found to upgrade is to deinstall your old X
:>
:>But doesn't your "deinstall" step remove directories where other
:>X11 applications have files installed?  I think the need to reinstall
:>those other X11 applications is what the OP was complaining about.
:>
:>I suppose that he (and I) need to learn how to keep other applications
:>from putting stuff in those directories, but that's a lot easier said
:>than done.
:>
:>And isn't it rather wasteful to rebuild font directories with every
:>XFree upgrade?
:>

In fact, the fact, that other ports use the same installation paths like
X11 (like xv, several graphical libraries) prevents me from deinstalling
the XFree port. It is a hard work deinstalling and then reinstalling
all the needed stuff ...
On the other hand, older programs which are linked against several X11
specific libs needed also to be updated, but I think it would be
an easier but unconventional way to 'await' mistakes and errors of the
software due lib-incoherency instead of deinstalling and reinstalling
the stuff.

A better solution would be to install X11-only stuff under /usr/X11R6
and other applications not belonging to the XFree port into /usr/local/X11R6.
Such a strict division into 'system' and 'local' parts makes things much
easier ... and the responsibble guys for those ports should consider that.

Now I tried to recover my older XFree installation, but something strange
happened so I have some more trouble. This is a real nice task
to do over easter :-(

Oliver
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)