Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:00:31 -0600
From:      "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
To:        "'Carl Makin'" <carl@stagecraft.cx>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DVD Burning.

> Hi,
> We have a Pioneer DVR-S201 DVD-R burner attached via scsi to
> a 4.6-STABLE
> box. It plays standard DVD's fine.
>
> I'm struggling to find burner software for it.  Is there
> anything other
> than cdrecord-ProDVD? (It doesn't look like standard cdrecord
> will do it).

I heard a rumor that the ATA driver was going to grow support for
burning DVD media.  Of course, that doesn't help things for
SCSI =-).  I believe that with DVD-R you can create an ISO
image and do a progressive write of it onto the media, but I'm
unclear on that.  FreeBSD Systems and FreeBSD Mall have produced
DVD media, so you might ask Mark Murray or Murray Stokley about
that.

> Along that line, how is UDF support going?  The web pages for current
> haven't been updated since April and the stable backport
> doesn't seem to
> have been touched since 4.4.

The UDF reader code was checked in back in late April.  The backport
to stable was never completed, but I or someone else can probably
do that if motivated enough.  Writing support has been stalled as
I'm working on pushing RAIDframe out the door.  I hope to get back to
it in a month or two.

Scott