Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 14:39:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        jgrosch@MooseRiver.com, jmutter@netwalk.com, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

> Doing a better job would take a great deal of time and effort. If I could
> arrange, somehow, to generate enough of an income stream from it, I'd do
> it.

Sorry, that's a cop-out attitude and it's like saying "I'd like to
learn to climb, but I lack the funds to ascend Everest."  You don't
have to go for the #1 difficulty challenge right away and, in fact,
it's almost always foolhardy to try and start hammering in the big end
of the wedge.  Pick something small and start from there, as many fine
efforts have been started.  You think the folks who created
freebsdzine, daemonnews, the freebsd diary, freebsdrocks and many
other fine (and effective) advocacy sites got paid money for it?  You
think it takes a personal fortune in the bank to write an effective
magazine article?  If you think either of those things then there are
a number of people on this list who will jump to be the first to
correct the misconception.

And I don't want to hear anything about how these things would be nice
but "they don't address the bigger picture" - you address the bigger
picture by addressing many smaller pictures until you've gained the
experience and the momentum necessary to tackle the big one.

There are so few people who are both highly vocal AND who are leading
by example, however, that I don't see critical mass as being anywhere
close and it's not a leadership problem so much as a dysfunctional
workforce problem.  A lot of people *complain* about how bad advocacy
is but very few actual do anything concrete about it, or even worse
(Brett) they somehow come to the conclusion that bashing the few folks
who *are* doing some kind of advocacy (and I'm not flying to Japan for
3 days at the end of this month for my *health*, to cite one example)
is somehow a productive and winning strategy.  That's like saying
"we're grossly outnumbered, the enemy is attacking in human waves and
we're down to 2 guys and a sergeant.  Quick, somebody shoot the
sergeant!"  If that's not screwy, self-defeating behavior in action, I
don't know what is.

- Jordan