Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:44:38 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk suggestion: INSTALL_BEFORE_ARGS

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 01:48:10PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you're like me, and you often ``make'' your ports as non-root then
> ``sudo'' or ``su'' or whatever to install, then you often find that you
> have to cd to each of the port's dependencies and do them there first.
> Sometimes we just sigh and do ``sudo make'' so they'll be able to install
> in /usr/local, etc. etc.
>
> Well, why not have an INSTALL_BEFORE_ARGS variable (like
> FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS)? This way, we can specify INSTALL_BEFORE_ARGS="sudo" and
> all you'll have to do is type the password in as needed. Or however your
> install method goes.
>
> Comments, thoughts, derisions?

I would *really* like this - I also build as a non-root user, and e.g.
installing gnome etc is simply not feasible without something like this.
Besides, this probably doesn't affect people who simply build as root,
does it?

--Stijn

> --
> Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
> ?O M+ V-- PS+ PE++ Y+ PGP+>+++ t++ 5 X++ R+ tv+ b++>++++ DI+++ D+

      FreeBSD:      | Hartley's First Law:  You can lead a horse to water, but
 The power to serve | if you can get him to float on his back, you've got
  www.freebsd.org   | something.