Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/6964: Problems with cam-980520 code in FreeBSD-stable

The following reply was made to PR kern/6964; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Torbjorn Granlund <tege@matematik.su.se>, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc: Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:04:30 +0200

 On 1998-06-16 11:56 +0200, Torbjorn Granlund <tege@matematik.su.se> wrote:

 >         motherboard:    ASUS P2B-S
 >         cpu:            Intel Pentium II 400MHz
 >         memory:         64MB PC66 SDRAM w/o ECC (1x64MB Hyundai)
 >         disk:           9.1GB U2W Seagate Cheetah9LP scsiid=0
 >         disk:           9.1GB U2W Seagate Cheetah9LP scsiid=1
 >         disk:           2.16GB Ultra IBM DCAS scsiid=6
 >         scsi:           AIC7890 on motherboard
 >         scsi:           NCR810 (ASUS SC200)
 >         video:          S3 Trio64
 >         network:        Intel Etherexpress Pro 100B, 10.0.100.9
 >
 > The NCR controller is scanned by the BIOS before the 7890 controller, and
 > with previous versions of FreeBSD, it is used for booting.

 Your probe messages indicate, that now a drive
 that is connected to the Adaptec is attached as
 da0 and will become the root device (unless you
 specified a different root device in your kernel
 config file).

 > There are two problems.
 >
 > 1) The root device is not located.  That might have to do with problems with
 >    the NCR controller (see screen dump from boot below).  But note that the
 >    drive is found, so talking to the NCR is clearly possible.

 Its found only *after* the kernel tried to mount
 da0a as the root partition ...

 > (probe17:ncr0:0:1:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f07ea200
 > (probe16:ncr0:0:1:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f07ea800
 > (probe15:ncr0:0:0:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f07eae00

 There should have been more specific error messages
 before these lines. The error code "6" indicates a
 SCSI bus reset occured. But there is not enough
 information available to understand what's causing
 this ...

 > changing root device to da0s1a
 > da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
 > da0: <SEAGATE ST39102LW 0004> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
 > da0: Serial Number [omitted]
 > da0: 6.600MS/s transfers , 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled  [see remark below]
 > da0: 8683MB (17783240 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 8683C)
 > da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
 > da1: <SEAGATE ST39102LW 0004> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
 > da1: Serial Number [omitted]
 > da1: 6.600MS/s transfers , 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled  [see remark below]
 > da1: 8683MB (17783240 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 8683C)
 > panic: cannot mount root
 > synching disks... done
 > da2 at ncr0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
 > da2: <IBM DCAS-32160 S65A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
 > da2: Serial Number [omitted]
 > da2: 2063MB (4226725 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 263C)

 Seems that probing the SCSI bus connected to the
 NCR chip took a very long time and only found the
 one drive on it after the kernel tried to mount
 the root partition.

 > Automatic reboot in 15 seconds [etc]

 I do not understand why the probe order changed
 between pre-CAM and CAM.

 My test system got -current with unmodified CAM
 and a slightly modified CAM version of the NCR
 driver. I've got a 810 and a 875 card in that
 system, and there is no change in probe order
 or resulting drive numbers between pre-CAM and
 CAM kernels.

 Did you change anything else (i.e. did the
 system ever run with the old SCSI code) ?

 Regards, STefan