Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 03:37:59 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Ian FREISLICH <if@hetzner.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw performance and random musings.

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 12:27:39PM +0200, Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> things.  I can also give the ifp->if_index cache a go.  Since I
> need to virualise the firewall, I need a set of rules for each
> interface.  I can't think of another way of sharing the firewall
> beween a few hundred customers than by doing this:

that's too heavyweight, perhaps you need to implement a
new microinstruction to hash the interface name and do an indirect
jump to the right target. Although the syntax can be tricky, something
like
	hash-if name:base:delta[,name:base:delta]

where name is the basename of the interface (e.g. vlan)
so that packets from interface fooX would jump to base+X*delta

	cheers
	luigi