Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:15:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jeff Vehrs" <JWVEHRS@hewitt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw log to dmesg??!! not security.log??!!

Jeff Vehrs writes:
> Hmm... ok. Now, I have another question. Is there a way for me to "redirect"
> ipfw messages away to the correct file?

It sounds like you're still confused. On the other hand, you're also
following common usage. My apologies if that's the case. ipfw doesn't
log these deny messages. They come from the kernel firewall
facility. ipfw is a command for configuring that facility. Those
messaages aren't in the *wrong* file. They aren't in a file at all -
they're in the the buffer that the dmesg command prints. That's where
*all* kernel messages go, period. That includes the boot messages,
informative messages from file systems, error messages from device
drivers, etc.

Now, you might be able to use syslog to send them to /etc/security.log
as well; I don't have the kernel firewall turned on on any boxes at
the moment to check on that capability with.

Alternatively, you could use a userland firewall facility
(/usr/ports/security/tcp_wrapper, for instance) to log these things
wherever you want them.

	<mike