Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:04:26 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        paskt@boat.bt.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X.Windows

>Hi there,
>Question:
>Does the X.Windows start automatically the next time I reboot or does
>the config file need altering? How do I run it?

You probably want to edit /etc/ttys file, and turn xdm on.

There are other ways to start up X -- startx being one of the more common.

By the way, it is a windowing system called X, not X.Windows.  (it is NOT a
CCITT standard, 'sfar as I know!)

>If I need to edit any configuration files could you suggest an easier to
>use editor than vi.

Learn vi.  There are other editors out there (emacs, et al, ee, etc), but
for sysadmin stuffs, vi is pretty much guaranteed to work, no matter which
unix system you are on or what its state of configuration is.

Creating / buying a cheat sheet helps.

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;