Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:47:04 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        kpneal@pobox.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not DNS (was: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem)

On Mon, Sep 15, 1997 at 08:12:47AM +0200, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>> If you have a name server, you don't need resolv.conf.
>>
>>> You know exactly what "lookup file bind" does, and it does exactly
>>> what you want in this situation.
>>
>> It keeps your host names consistent across the local net?  It caches
>> name server lookups across your slow Internet connection?
>>
>> named is your friend.
>
> Agreed. But I have a lease line connection to the Internet, I run my
> own name server, I have a *lot* of experience running name servers,
> and I *still* find it extremely convenient to have /etc/hosts lookups
> available. Please don't remove it.

Don't worry, I don't have the least intention (nor the authority) to
remove it.

> My main reasons for using lookups in 'hosts then bind' order are:
>
> - Convenience for temporary updates. Sometimes I want to add a name
> quickly, use it a little bit, and then remove it again. And there is
> no reason why these names should be available on the Internet. It's
> quicker to edit /etc/hosts than to edit two zone files and rehup
> named.

Why two zone files?  Do you want reverse lookup for the temps as well?
But I really don't see much difference in the time.  I regularly do
this with DNS.

> - Assigning names to hosts in other parts of the Internet which are
> not in DNS. These names will of course only be available locally, but
> that's all I need.

That works with DNS as well.  I have a nickname for hub.FreeBSD.org on
the local system.

> - Likewise, it is sometimes convenient to *override* the names of
> hosts which are already in the DNS but not under my control.

Hmmm.  Can you explain what you mean here?  Do you mean that you want
to remove all trace of the name?  You can't do that and run any kind
of DNS, including remote nameds via resolv.conf.

> As far as I know, all modern Unixes have the possibility of using
> several different methods for host name lookups. I see no reason why
> such useful functionality which is already in FreeBSD should be
> removed.

As I said before, this wasn't the issue.  Don't worry.

Greg