Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:12:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Greg Prosser <greg@straynet.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.5-STABLE & possible ipnat breakage?

Let me clarify, since I think my original post was long and scary to
people who might be interested :P

My LAN setup is like so:

( internal lan ) - switch - hades (gw/nat box) - ( outside world )

In order to IRC from a machine in my internal network, and allow DCC to
work, I used ipnat rdr rules[1], and tircproxy.  This solution worked
beautifully until I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE Friday afternoon.

In order to eliminate the problem as much as possible, I setup netcat to
listen on localhost:6999 (while tircproxy was not running), and tried to
make use of the redirect (tried to connect outbound), I see the following
while watching in ipmon:

03/02/2002 12:04:58.221667 @7 NAT:RDR 127.0.0.1,6999 <- ->
206.167.75.78,6661 [10.10.0.10,3704]
03/02/2002 12:05:22.249178 @7 NAT:RDR 127.0.0.1,6999 <- ->
206.167.75.78,6661 [10.10.0.10,3705]

However, netcat doesn't receive any connections, and my windows machine
reports "connection timed out".

[gregp@hades] /home/gregp: nc -l -p 6999 -s 127.0.0.1 -vv
listening on [127.0.0.1] 6999 ...

However, telnet -s 10.10.0.1 localhost 6999 does connect and work fine.
Is something wrong with how ipnat is redirecting my connection?

[1] My RDR rules:
rdr rl0 0.0.0.0/0 port 6661 -> 127.0.0.1 port 6999 tcp

-gnp