Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 16:57:28 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Hal Peterson" <hrp@alum.mit.edu>, <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Configuring acd0 on wdc1 without wd?

>I'm running FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE on a Dell Dimension XPS R400.  I have
>two IDE disks on the first controller, and a CD-ROM and tape drive on
>the second, so:
<<snip>>
>Except I don't have disks (wd2, wd3) on the second controller.
>FreeBSD takes a long time to boot while it probes for those disks, so
>I tried to remove them; but now I can't get to the CD-ROM.  Here's
>what happens when I try to "mount /cdrom":
>
> Apr 29 11:20:24 melchett /kernel: atapi1.0: controller not ready for cmd
> Apr 29 11:20:24 melchett /kernel: atapi1:0: ERROR 2, status=0, error=0
> Apr 29 11:20:24 melchett /kernel: acd0: read_toc failed
<<snip>>
>So my question is, how can I convince the atapi driver to talk to my
>CD-ROM without having the bogus drives configured?

Hmmm....I'm just flailing around, since removing the non-exisitent drives
works on my machine, but you might want to try these:

1.    Make sure your kernel config has these lines in it:

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM

2.    You might want to give this a shot, to let the CDROM drive settle
before being probed:

options         IDE_DELAY=8000  # Be optimistic about Joe IDE device

(This is from the 4.0 LINT file--check your 3.4 version to make sure the
command is the same. I think it is, but make sure :-)

3.    Check the jumpers on your CDROM and tape drive, and make sure one is
the master and the other the slave. The CDROM should probably be the master.

Hope this helps,

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor