Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:26:04 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@miralink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial speed for boot device selection prompt

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:36:28AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers.  I am currently unable to access www.freebsd.org
> for some reason.  It appears that I get a timeout trying to retrieve
> anything from the web site.  Other folks in my office seem to have the same
> problem, yet I can access the web site from my home network.
>
> Any ideas what the connection issues might be?

Someone else recently reported similar on their FreeBSD box, and the fix
for them was to disable RFC1323 TCP window scaling.  Try this:

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0

If this works for you, you can place the variable=value portion in
/etc/sysctl.conf for application upon start-up.

If your FreeBSD box acts as a gateway for the rest of your office, and
the then that might explain why others are seeing the same thing.
Otherwise the problem is likely not FreeBSD-related, and you should
talk to your office networking folks to find out what's going on.