Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:06:32 -0600
From:      "YODER,ANDREW (Non-HP-Boise,ex1)" <andrew_yoder@non.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kdm on freeBSD 4 release

Hello,

I'm a new freebsd/unix user and I've run into problems setting up kdm.  I
first setup X, then I got xdm to start automatically when my system boots
up.  I lastly got KDE to work.   So right now I can use xdm to log in and
get KDE.  But I would like to use kdm instead of xdm.  I've searched through
the email archives on both this site and K's website, and found a lot of
information, but as of now it still cannot get it working.  I'd like to list
what errors I see, and then list all the steps I've taken so far, and see if
anyone can help me out.

When I try to load kdm, I get the following msgs:  (I'm typing these out
from hand because I'm at work and don't have log files)

/kernal:  pid 219 (kdm), uid 0:  exited on signal 11(core dumped)

kdm[215]: unknown session exit code 35584 from process 219
kdm[215]: unknown session exit code 35584 from process 219
kdm[215]: unknown session exit code 35584 from process 219

As I kept working on this problem, I eventually got it to where I no longer
got the core dump error, but I did see this error:

kdm[181]: unknown session exit code 35584 from process 199

Here are the steps I have taken to get kdm to work.  Remember I got KDE and
xdm working correctly already:

1. added:  ( echo -n "kdm"; /usr/local/bin/kdm ) to rc.local   (w/out
parenthesis)

2.  creaded .xession file (as I said KDE works already)

3. /etc/ttys includes the line: (  ttyv8 /usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"
xterm off secure )  so I changed this from xdm to kdm but left everything
else the same.

4.  in xdm-config I commented out the following line:  (
DisplayManager.requestport:  0)  as instructed --- is there a kdm-config
file?

5. I also followed instruction I found in the email archives for how to
setup kdm
	- created the directory structure /usr/local/config/kdm/authdir
	- in the above dir, created Xsetup with the line "kdmdesktop"
	- created a link file Xsession in / (I also put it  in /root becuase
I was not sure where it went)

These are all the things I have tried..... when I boot up the system, the
screen briefly goes to the blue colored background I have  on the KDE
desktop, and I can see a kconsole at the bottom right of the screen, but
then the program exits back to the command line -- now when I boot up I
don't see any error msgs, it just goes back to the command line login, but
if I log in and try to run kdm,  I get the error msgs listed above.

This is a super challenging problem for me, and  I need help from experts.
I was proud of myself that I was able to setup xdm, because I had been
getting many errors with that, but I think I need a lot of help with this
one.

I heard at one point that the answer might be with downloading and
recompiling kdm, but that is really beyond me... if that is what I have to
do, could I have some instruction on how to do that, or could you point me
to some resources on the web where  I can learn how to do that?

Please, send all responses to:
andrew_yoder@nonhp-am.exch.hp.com AND
mister_pink@netzero.com

Thank you very much for all your help!