Date:      09 Nov 2005 09:49:22 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-security-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Carlos Silva aka |Danger_Man| <full-disclosure@csilva.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security updates without rebooting

Carlos Silva aka |Danger_Man| <full-disclosure@csilva.org> writes:

> Can someone explain how to apply security patches on the system
> without rebooting the machine?
>
> I guess that I cant patch the kernel without compiling and rebooting
> the machine, so the only way is with iptables and keeping the daemons
> "fresh"?

I think it would better to look at it this way:  you can't apply a
patch without stopping and restarting whatever the patch is part of.
For the kernel, that obviously does require rebooting.  But it depends
on what the patch is; security advisories usually describe how to
apply fixes or workarounds. http://www.freebsd.org/security/#adv