Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 15:33:16 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposal of a better solution for "statclock broken" laptops

Nate Williams wrote:

> > They deal with different problems. The statclock did not start on my
> > Dell I3.7k because of a pending interrupt being not cleared at startup.
> > The patch included in PR 17800 fixes this problem.
>
> Ok, so even if it starts up, it doesn't work right if you suspend,
> correct?

Yes, indeed. Summarizing:

 - at first, statclock didn't work and APM suspend worked on my laptop.
 - after I fixed the statclock initialization (PR 17800), it worked, but
   APM suspend got broken. I needed to set the apm(4)'s 0x20 flag in
   order to get suspend working again, but this disabled the statclock,
   going back to the beginning.
 - with my second set of changes, which disable the statclock interrupts
   just before suspend, and re-enable them just after resume, APM suspend
   works, and the statclock does too.

> I thought maybe you found a special initialization routine that caused
> it work without any special 'suspend/resume' code.

Unfortunately I didn't. The RTC periodic interrupt generator is
very simple, and there is little to do with its initialization.

Saludos,
-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071