Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:31:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NVidia TNT2 Driver Installation

> The nVidia drivers are closed-source and available for Linux only,
> therefore, no-one has been able to build them for FreeBSD. Without
> hardware acceleration IMHO your DVD playback *will* be choppy, unless
> you have a 1.5+ GHz CPU.

on my GeForce2 MX XFree86 supports xvideo, which makes DVD's play fine.
The drivers are linux only right now, but there is a working port to
FreeBSD that works for 2d and Xvideo. 3d is on the way right now and I've
even been able to start an OpenGL app and have it display to the screen
for like 5 seconds before the Xserver hangs.

Ken