Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:48:55 -0500
From:      Eric Thornton <ewthorn2@eos.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   port problems

I have been using freebsd for a few months now and have had little touble
with the os as a whole. However, it seems that 3/4 ports i attempt to install
fail with a "patch failed to apply cleanly error...." either in the main
source or a dependency. Some of these are pretty common ports, and it makes
me belive i am doing something wrong. I am running 4.2-release and
immediately after installing, cvsuped the latest ports (i understand there is
only 1 ports branch-current). then, samba, cclient for pine, gaim, Xfree4,
and a few others all gave me the same patch error. baffled, i rm -rf'd the
/usr/ports dir and installed the collection right off the CD. immedatly all
the ports that gave me problems compiled with no errors. a few days later i
re-cvsuped the latest ports again and now cannot get realplayer, lobster,
kdelibs 1.1.2, or even APSfilter to compile! Surely apsfilter should compile,
but it stops in the ghostscript dependency. Anyone have any ideas what, if
anything im doing wrong here?

Eric Thornton