Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:35:21 +0100
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>, Philip.Payne@uk.uu.net (Philip Payne)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP of 4.7 only?

sorry I missed this part of the thread. see my other post too.

On Friday 21 February 2003 03:58 pm, Tuc wrote:
> > CVS Tag list:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.ht=
ml
> >=20
> =09So if I read it right:
>=20
> =09RELENG_4_7_0_RELEASE - First ever 4.7 release. Oldest and never
> updated past that day it was tagged

I think so.  *Critical* fixes used to go into the release itself, which g=
ot=20
confusing and I think that is why the release branches were made.

> =09RELENG_4_7 - More current than _RELEASE, but only with critical
> updates.

yep basically.  It results in point releases along the release branch.  I=
=20
think there are like 15 on the 4.7 brnach now.  I can't figure out how ot=
=20
tell without upgrading or if there is a way to upgrade to a specific one.

> =09RELENG_4 - More current than 4_7, has non critical updates and
> tweaks, but doesn't guarantee it being 4_7 branch.

yes, see my other post.

> =09So there isn't a way to make sure I stay in 4.7, but get all the
> fixes, right?

That's true. FreeBSD is a fast moving target and to add both features and=
 bug=20
fixes you have to move on, which is what 4-stable does.
=09Personally I'd like to see the release branches have a lot more stabil=
ity=20
fixes along with the security fixes.  But this could require massive amou=
nts=20
of work and there are only so many people and resources to go around. =20
Maintaining the release branches with only security fixes is I'm sure alr=
eady=20
a great deal of work, and is a great step in the right direction I believ=
e.
=09I dunno, maybe it would be possible for only the last release branch t=
o get=20
stability fixes along with security fixes.  That may just work.  I've wan=
ted=20
something like that for years.  It would bring FreeBSD farther along in b=
eing=20
the most stable free OS out there and satisfy the needs of the super=20
conservative.
=09Personally I'd rather have a super super stable OS, I don't really car=
e about=20
performance beyond a reasonable point.  I'd like to get to the point wher=
e=20
there are FreeBSD releases as bug free as Tex.  I think that is possible =
with=20
the release branches.

Tim