Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:33:09 -0500
From:      "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste@ste-land.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My ipfilter rules.

In order to be a good netizen, I applied the bogon list to my outbound
traffic, too. I also moved the bad packet checks to the head of the
incoming rules, as they make more sense there - no point in letting them
use any more cpu than needed, if they are junk.

At least 35 people have looked at my rules
(http://www.ste-land.com/rules.html). I've updated the page, so be sure
to hit refresh/reload, if you go to look at it again. So far, two people
have responded. I took the suggestions of one. Anyone else? I'm putting
the server on the Internet tonight, and would like the firewall done by
then.

Two questions:

1) Should I be performing the bad packet checks on the outbound path, too?

2) I looked at using groups to keep outbound packets from traversing
rules for inbound packets, and vice versa, but I still don't understand
them well enough to set them up. Suggestions?

	-ste