Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 20:32:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD make oddities?

Take the below makefile.  Try a 'make vers.o'.  For me, it fails with a:

	make: don't know how to make vers.c. Stop

Running under 2.1.5, but I get the same thing with the make from
-current, although that doesn't mean too much since /usr/share/mk
could make a big difference.

If I remove the SRCS definition or the ${SRCS} from the foo line,
it works fine.

Can anyone explain what is happening?  It looks like some interaction
between the default rules and the makefile, but I'm not exactly sure
where especially considering that if I remove the ${SRCS} dependency
from the foo target it works.

Makefile:
SRCS	= vers.c

vers.o: