Date:      Mon, 07 May 2007 13:19:05 +0200
From:      Bernd Trippel <trip@nosubject.org>
To:        Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query file system type for yet-to-be mounted volumes?

Modulok typed on 07/05/07 11:02:
> How does one determine the file system a disk uses, for disks that are
> not yet mounted? Example: You're handed a disk that has been sitting
> around in a closet for years, with no idea what it was used for. The
> department manager tells you to see what it contains.
>
> How do I mount it, if I don't already know what file system it uses?
> Is there a command to query this? Trial and error doesn't seem like
> the ideal solution.

You might get a clue using "file":
eg:
# file -s /dev/da0s1
/dev/da0s1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3c, OEM-ID "MSDOS5.0",
sectors/cluster 32, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT
250, heads 255, hidden sectors 32, sectors 2044383 (volumes > 32 MB) ,
serial number 0x64650d9b, unlabeled, FAT (16 bit)

see man file

As far as I am aware parted or gparted (partition-editor running on
Linux) is not in ports, but there is a 50MB-live-cd availabe:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php but you might want to check
the features first.