Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 14:47:43 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pib comments.

Jaye Mathisen stands accused of saying:

> Talk about mixed feelings.  The package, concept, and use is great, but
> it is *slooooooowwwwwwwwwer* than molasses.

Really?  You're the first person to suggest this; I did a lot of
speed testing on a 486/33 running diskless with an unacelerated
TVGA8900 card and 8M of RAM.

> I'm using an unloaded P6-200, with 128MB RAM, and Matrox cards, and pib
> takes 10-12 seconds to bring up the build tool.  Plus it leaves this
> honking monster xterm widget thing running around until if finally gets
> everything resized.

Matrox?  Oh, you're probably running Accelerated-X, right?  AccelX (at
least at the 1.x level) gives hopless performance with Tk, although
I normally only noticed this with applications running remotely.

The Xterm hanging around (it's up for less than a second on the
486/33) is a side-effect of your window manager insisting that the
window be created onscreen.  You could call this a bug in fvwm; I
would have created it as an icon, but then when you deiconify it, even
though it's been reparented, fvwm insists on drawing decorations for
it.  So I have to let it be realised full-size before reparenting it,
and the tkSteal code tries to put it offscreen, but your WM is
refusing.  Not much I can do about that.

> I'm losing faith in TCL/TK stuff.  Nice idea conceptually, but painfully
> slow.

I suggest that you push the turbo button on your P6 phallus and
perhaps try talking to the _author_ before you slam his work
publically, or at the very least ask the ports group, who have been
testing it for the last month or so.  The speed problem is your
setup, not my code, and I'll thank you to keep your criticism to
those parts of the application that deserve it (and there are
plenty of those, I'll willingly admit), or raise the issue with
me privately.