Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:40:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        gsimonoff@geocities.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to

greg simonoff <gsimonoff@geocities.com> types:
> How can block special file - which the way
> I understand it is just an inode with the major and minor
> numbers in it be read?  Is there a utility for doing
> that?

cat, dd, etc. You might want to try /dev/rda0<stuff>.

> dmesg shows that my external scsi drive is recognized -
> it is even correctly identified, but I can't get disklabel to
> return anything.  If disklabel can't read the disk label
> then I can't even get to the point were I can reformat
> it and add a new file system.  Is that right?

You can't read one until you've written one on it. If you're willing
to lose the data on the disk - or have no data on it - you can use
"disklabel -w -r /dev/da0 auto to put a label on da0. You then need to
do "sh MAKEDEV da0h" to create the partitions on the disk (no slices
at all). If you want to use MS-style slices, use fdisk first, then use
disklabel on /dev/da0s#, for # being 1, 2, 3, or 4.

	<mike