Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 22:58:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Benjamin Gerfelder <benjamin@dante.saar.de>
To:        CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to install without /stand/sysinstall

> **** Do this, if possible **** The easiest way is to pull the disk
> and temporarily install it in a second machine. (Well, gutting a

Hmm, it seems that I can't remove the disk from the laptop without taking
it totally apart :(

> Or /borrow/ some memory for the machine. 5 mb is probably minimum.
> Some laptops use proprietary memory though. If you could get 8MB
> in there for a day or two, I will /ALMOST/ guarantee a successful
> installation.

I've already tried to get some extra memory, but it seems that it *is* one
of these proprietary memory formats. I've never seen memory chips of this
size before...

> I have a spare machine (8 MB 386SX). Maybe we can come up with
> something.  Does that laptop have ethernet? (Please say "yes"!)

No ;)

> How were you planning on installing? NFS? Ftp? Floppies? [shudder].
> Modem? [partial shudder].

I planned to install from floppies. I could also establish a serial
connection to my linux box, what would you suggest ?

> The evil scheme I am hatching would require either a network connection
> of some kind or two floppy drives. How much disk do you have?

I have 125 Megs of hd space in total, I planned to use 15 Megs for
swap.

I planned to make somehow a bootdisk that would drop me to a shell. I
would then make a filesystem on the HD and copy the files of the binary
distribution to it (when I boot from a floppy, is it possible that I run
into serious trouble when I try to mount another floppy ?) and unpack them
into their respective directories. Might it work this way ?

Mfg
Benjamin