Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:31:10 -0500
From:      David Loszewski <stealth215@attbi.com>
To:        netboss@cyberport.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User name length

16 character names is and has been the limit.  8 characters is playing
it safe, where there may be some programs that won't accept more than
that but I believe it is only the older programs that you will find a
problem with that.  For and program that is current 16 characters should
be no problem.

Dave