Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:40:28 -0500
From:      Phillip Neiswanger <sigsegv@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Palm Pilot programming and PRC-Tools

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Phillip Neiswanger <sigsegv@mindspring.com> types:
>
>> I'm trying to get the helloworld program that comes with
>> "Palm OS Programming Bible" to compile, but I'm having a few problems.
>

> This is *definitely* the wrong list to ask these questions on. Try:
>
> Pilot-unix mailing list
> Pilot-unix@hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu

Thanks Mike.  I will definitely move my conversation to that list.
However, my reason for starting here was that I felt the packages supplied
had problems.  I won't make that claim now, but I do think they are
incomplete at this time.  To make them complete I think packages for the
sdk and for prc-tools-2.0 proper should be provided.

>> I'm running FreeBSD 4.3 generic and I have the following palm oriented
>> packages installed.
>>
>> palmpower-1.0.2     	Disassembler and other tools for PalmOS binaries
>> pilot-link-0.9.3    	PalmPilot communications utilities
>> pilot_makedoc-0.7a  	Converts text into the Doc format used by PalmPilots
>> pose-3.1            	Palm OS(R) Emulator
>> prc-tools-binutils-2.0
>> PRC-tools for Palm OS (binutils part)
>> prc-tools-gcc-2.0
>> PRC-tools for Palm OS (gcc part)
>>
>> I created the following directory tree in /usr/local.
>>
>> /usr/local/palmdev/sdk -> sdk-3.5
>> /usr/local/palmdev/sdk-3.5/include -> ~pgn/palmPilot/palmOS3.5/Palm OS 3.5
>> Support/Incs
>>                            /lib -> ~pgn/palmPilot/palmOS3.5/Palm OS 3.5
>> Support/GCC Libraries
>>
>> When I compile the program I get the following:
>>
>> pgn> make
>> m68k-palmos-gcc -I. -O2 -c hello.c -o hello.o
>> hello.c: In function `SaySomething':
>> hello.c:26: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
>> m68k-palmos-gcc -I. -O2 hello.o -o hello
>> /usr/local/pilot/m68k-palmos/bin/ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or
>> directory
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> gmake: *** [hello] Error 1
>>
>> As far as I can tell there isn't any crt0.o associated with the prc-tools
>> installation.  What am I missing?  Is there some additional software I
>> need to install.  More symlinks?  What?
>

> There's a crt0.o in the prc-tools package. ld comes in the
> prc-tools-binutils package. I'm surprised that the latter doesn't find
> the former. A symlink should fix it - but it shouldn't be needed.

I was under the misconception that I only needed the prc-tools package if I
wanted to build from source.  I've downloaded it now, but have yet to build
a crt0.o.  Lots of little problems to overcome I guess.  I can't even get a
build from source to work yet.  Ah well...  I'll get it one of these times.

Again thanks for the info.
--
phil