Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:32:00 -0500
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        absinthe@pobox.com, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, shanon loveridge <shanon_loveridge@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1p5

Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com> wrote:
> Why?  The native threading that we're using now is no better/worse than
> the internal green threads implementation.  Without kernel threads,
> native threads have *EXACTLY* the same sorts of problems that exist with
> green threads.

First, I'll say that I know very little about all of this, comparatively
speaking.

My understanding is that native threads were not dependent on kernel
threads;  that is, native threads are there to, among other things,
reduce I/O overhead.  I understand as much to know that to go SMP inside
of the Java VM requires kernel threads.

But again, the way I understand it is that by talking to a VM built
around pthreads, that some performance gains can be had.  So I guess
that (until SMPng becomes a reality) what I'm asking is whether a native
VM build exists around pthreads.

--
  Dylan Carlson (absinthe@pobox.com)