Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:14:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A @home problem

I had this same problem being a @home subscriber. I discovered if you add in
the /etc/dhclient.conf this string, all will be fine:

interface "ed0" {
	send dhcp-client-identifier "cr-123456-a";
}

Make certain that in /etc/rc.conf you have the following string:
network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"

And of course make sure you have the BFP enabled in your kernel and have
/dev/bpf0 (although, I THINK since FreeBSD 3.3 this has all been enabled
by default... or was it since 3.2? I can't recall). Anywayz, give it a
reboot and all should be well.

However, I do have a question that is sort of related. Let's say I
restart my rc scripts with "sh /etc/rc". Now, FreeBSD can't open a BPF it
says or that I don't have a spare one left. Without creating more /dev/bpf*
devices, how can I "close" (I don't know the correct terminology, sorry)
the /dev/bpf0? Because I don't want to have to reboot all the time.
Much thanx in advance.

--- Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org> wrote:
> Also, when the guy came to install it for the first time, he
> gave you a pink sheet. The pink sheet has all the info that
> you need.
>
> --bhishan
>
> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > @Home's DHCP server only works if it can verify that your NETBIOS name is
> > your account name, like mine is cx440370-a.  If my netbios name wasn't
> > cx443070-a on my windows box, I wouldn't be able to use DHCP (I'd have to
> > put the information in manually).  Since FreeBSD doesn't have NETBIOS names
> > built into it, I don't believe you can use DHCP with @Home with FreeBSD.
> > Instead just enter your information manually in /stand/sysinstall.  If you
> > need certain information you don't have, here's some help:
> >
> > Your gateway would be your IP address, except the last number (octet) would
> > be 1.
> > An @Home DNS server is 24.5.247.17

=====
PGP public key: