Date:      13 Nov 2000 09:14:51 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting ISDN working under FreeBSD 4.1.1 (LONG POST)

Hi,

I'm trying to get isdn working on my new FreeBSD box. I have linux and
solaris experience (3 years) and am just trying to apply that to
FreeBSD.

My aim here with the isdn configuration is to get my isdn gateway at
home to connect to my ISP (BT Internet). The machine is a dual
celeron. It is currently running FreeBSD 4.1.1.

What I have done so far :

Downloaded the i4b-00.95.00-beta-310800.tar.gz from the site listed in
the isdn section of the handbook. I then untarred this and did the
following:

cd i4b
less README
cd FreeBSD
less INSTALLATION
sh overinstall.sh
mkdir /var/isdn /usr/local/lib/isdn
cd ..
make depend && make && make install

This all went well.

I then added the CONFIG file to my kernel by doing
cat /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MARVIN CONFIG > /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MARVIN.ISDN

I commented out all the driver lines other than the
options "TEL_S0_16_3"
device  isic0 at isa? port 0xd80 irq 5 flags 3

I have a Teles 16.3 with io jumper set to 180 and irq jumper set to
5. According to the FAQ that came with i4b, even though the jumper
says 180, I need to use d80.

I also had these uncommented
pseudo-device   "i4bq921"
pseudo-device   "i4bq931"
pseudo-device   "i4b"
pseudo-device   "i4btrc"        4
pseudo-device   "i4bctl"
pseudo-device   "i4brbch"       4
pseudo-device   "i4btel"        2
options         IPR_VJ
pseudo-device   "i4bipr"        4

I then rebuilt my kernel, rebooted that machine, and then saw that
isp0-isp3 were now in the list of network interfaces (ifconfig -a)

Next I built a /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc based on the sample file. My entry
sections looks as follows :
entry
name                    = I4BPPP-BT
usrdevicename           = isp
usrdeviceunit           = 0
isdncontroller          = 0
isdnchannel             = -1
#local-phone-incoming    = 1234
#remote-phone-incoming   = 5678
#local-phone-dialout     = 1234
remote-phone-dialout    = ISPPHONENUMBER
remdial-handling        = first
dialin-reaction         = ignore
dialout-type            = normal
b1protocol              = hdlc
idletime-incoming       = 240
idletime-outgoing       = 600
ratetype                = 0
unitlength              = 90
unitlengthsrc           = rate
dialretries             = 3
dialrandincr            = on
recoverytime            = 25
usedown                 = off
downtries               = 2
downtime                = 30

I also set isdn_enable="YES" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and rebooted.

After I did this, and then ran sh /etc/rc.isdn I got an
error in my logs saying

Nov 12 00:16:29 marvin isdnd[327]: ERR check_config:
local-phone-dialout not set in entry 0!
Nov 12 00:16:29 marvin isdnd[327]: ERR check_config:
local-phone-incoming not set in entry 0!
Nov 12 00:16:29 marvin isdnd[327]: ERR check_config:
remote-phone-incoming not set in entry 0!
Nov 12 00:16:29 marvin isdnd[327]: ERR check_config: 3 error(s) in
configuration file, exit!
Nov 12 00:16:29 marvin isdnd[327]: DMN daemon terminating, exitval = 1

So I unhashed and gave bogus values for local-phone-incoming,
local-phone-dialout and remote-phone-incoming. Is this OK ?

Next time I ran sh /etc/rc.isdn I got
Nov 12 00:16:57 marvin isdnd[330]: DMN i4b isdn daemon started (pid =
330)
In my log.

Last step I did was to run

ispppcontrol isp0 myauthproto=chap myauthname='me' myauthsecret='mypasswd' hisauthproto='none' enable-vj

ispppcontrol isp0 doesn't show a number.

The main problem is that I now don't know what to do next. How can I
bring up the link to the ISP?
Also, what is requred to use DHCP to setup the ip details for the isp0
device ? My ISP allocate me an IP Address and gateway every time I
dial in.

Lastly, is there anything special I need to do to setup NAT with this
device, or would that be the same as setting up NAT with 2 ethernet
adaptors in a machine ?

Thanks in advance,

-Wayne
--