Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:59:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Jikes (java source -> byte code compiler) released in open-source form

:
:On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:>     The thing compiles using, in jikesos/jikes/src/Makefile as shown below.
:>     It works!  I'm impressed!
:
:Can you be a little more detailed about the environment of your test
:app?  JDK?.?   ?  Any JFC in the app?  I'm really curious.

    The apps I compiled up to test it were Java projects I am involved in,
    JDK based.  I was using the JDK's 'java' binary to run them.

    Oh, I had to create an empty "wchar.h" header file too.

    jikes seems quite fast at compiling up the Java, and I am very impressed
    at the cleanliness of the source.  If Sun gets its act together and opens
    up their JDK sources it will be even better.

						-Matt

:> # g++ definitions (RedHat 5.* - glibc)
:> CC=g++
:> # use -W to see warnings (should review from time to time)
:> CCREQUIREDFLAGS= -DGNU_LIBC5 -DUNIX -funsigned-char  -c -DTYPE_bool -ansi -I.
:> CCDEBUGFLAGS=-DTEST -g
:> CCOPTFLAGS=-O
:> CCFLAGS=$(CCREQUIREDFLAGS) $(CCDEBUGFLAGS)
:> CCFLAGS=$(CCREQUIREDFLAGS) $(CCOPTFLAGS)
:> ERASE=rm -f
:> EXECUTABLE=jikes
:> LD=g++
:> LDDEBUGFLAGS=-g
:> LDFLAGS=-L. -o$(EXECUTABLE)
:> O=o
:> SYSOBJECTS=
:>
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)