Date:      28 May 2002 02:03:40 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with PC-Partner motherboards?

On Tue, 2002-05-28 at 01:34, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Does anyone have a PC Partner  K133AASA-220B ?

No, but my DFI AK74-EC board (which is a VIA KT133A motherboard) with an
AMD Duron 1300 has been locking up like clockwork right around
midnight.  I thought this was amanda related (I've just finished
installing a dedicated dump disk), but I stayed up tonight to watch
things and it actually locks up without amanda doing anything (just
running Evolution and looking at my mail while waiting for amanda to
start on schedule and the mouse cursor froze--along with the rest of the
system).  After rebooting, amanda ran fine to completion.

Amanda appears to work the system pretty hard as the CPU spikes up about
20 deg. C (from 65 deg. C to 85 deg. C--still within the operating
limits of 90 deg. C from the documentation--but a tad toasty).  After
amanda completed (takes about 2 hours on my system to back up a 60 Gig
set of partitions), the CPU temperature settles down again.

As you've observed, the freeze is "hard"--getting in with a debugger
appears futile and I need to hit the reset switch to get things moving
again--CTRL-ALT-DEL has no effect.

I'm also wondering if this has anything to do with the tagged queing
going south early in 4.5-STABLE (the tagged sysctl is currently disabled
in my loader.conf with a comment).  No real reason to think so, just a
generalized feeling that all is not quite right.

--
         _
  | |V| / '                       ||  MacroHard --                   \
\_| | | \_,                       ||     the perfection of form over |