Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 1996 12:33:13 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        imb@scgt.oz.au, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2842 and the disappearing file-system :-(

>> >I think EISA probing ought to be limited to EISA bus machines.  Call
>> >me strange.  8-).
>>
>> I think that using anything other than eisaconf for devices that
>> look and behave like EISA devices is a waste of code and a cludge.
>> Forcing the 2842 to use our ISA registration routines is certainly
>> not a better alternative.
>
>What about adding a VLB registration phase?

Give me a break!  VLB is isa with a 32bit bus as far as probes
go.  I don't know of another VLB card that uses an eisa probe.  In
fact, the probes for VLB devices are usually identical to their
ISA cousins.  So, we may as well use ISA probes for VLB devices
in the general case.

>There needs to be a disctinction between need for bounce buffers
>anyway... You call the VLB probe if the EISA tag isn't present.

Not at all.  There are EISA motherboards with broken 32bit DMA,
There are VL motherboards with broken 32bit DMA.  There are VL
cards with broken 32bit DMA.  There are EISA cards with broken
32bit DMA.  You can't identify if a VLB motherboard is present, so
having another special VL probe doesn't buy you anything.  Each
device driver is also capable ofenableing bounce buffers if it can
detect broken hardware and the eisa module could even set a flag
for all EISA devices to look at if it had a table of broken
motherboard IDs.  Look at how the bt driver deals with this  to
see exactly why this is not even relevent to this discussion.

>This unkludges a lot of things, including the things that are
>kludged by the EISA ID check on non-EISA boxes.

How are they kludged?  I haven't seen a single report of eisaconf
without detected devices causing problems in a system.  Furthermore,
if you don't have a 2842 or and eisa machine, you can disable the
eisa0 device in your config file.  If you do have a 2842, you'd
have to read the same bytes of the I/O address space, so it buys
you nothing to have a separate probe for it.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations