Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:03:35 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CNAME lookup problem

>Feb 17 17:20:10 rockfordschools qmail: 982430410.860700 delivery
>214: deferral:
>CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)/
>
>Any ideas?  I tried recompiling Qmail, but no luck.  Thanks!

If Stable has BIND 8.2.3, 8.2.3 is not as sloppy as earlier version in applying

"RFC 1034 Section 3.6.2. Aliases and canonical names"

What you got away with earlier, won't pass now. This CNAME has been
raised many times in the ISC BIND list recently as everybody has
moved up from 8.2.2.  A lot of people with illegal CNAME usage got caught.

I recommend that you drop all CNAME's and use A records.

I think CNAMEs are just "one more knob to twist" on BIND setup for
curious know twisters  and most knob twisters get it wrong ("hey, I
don't have any CNAME records, yet.  I better put some in"), as well
an increasing network traffic. Lose the CNAME records.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways