Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:26:29 -0400
From:      Dan Kalowsky <kalowsky@cs.jhu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   machine disappearance after upgrade 4.7

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can give me a pointer or two here.  A normally
extremely stable machine running FreeBSD has become rather unstable
after upgrading to the 4.7 release.

By unstable I mean disappearing off the network suddenly, and having
console non-responsive to anything but a nice ctl-alt-del reboot.  The
log files only show one thing that may be of issue:

> Oct 25 01:05:48 x-wing /kernel: arplookup 207.8.132.194 failed: host
> is not on local network
> Oct 25 01:36:27 x-wing /kernel: arplookup 207.8.132.194 failed: host
> is not on local network

Right before the machine disappears, these messages start repeating
rather rapidly to the tune of one about ever 5 seconds.  This behavior
was not seen in any of the earlier FreeBSD releases.  The said IP
address is the IP for the nameserver of the cluster group, which is
responding just fine to requests.  A quick search of the archives
reveals nothing thats of any help to me so...

Have I somehow misconfigured my upgrade, and if so any suggestions on
what to fix or where to begin looking?  Or have I stumbled upon a legit
bug?

Machine Info:
SMC EtherPowerII nic
AMD Athalon 1600+
512 MB of RAM

If more information is needed, it can be provided.  Any and all help
would be appreciated.