Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:02:16 -0400
From:      Jeff Neuffer <jneuffer@nscom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   User Authentication other than /etc/passwd

Hello,
Is it possible to have FreeBSD use any other authentication methods for
users other than "/etc/passwd"?
We have many FreeBSD systems and it would be nice to have the user base
managed from one "table/database".  For instance... LDAP?  Or even Radius?
I read the man page for "passwd" and I see that "ypasswd" is mentioned and
NIS.  Would NIS and ypasswd be a better management system for 5,000 users?

Jeff Neuffer Jr.
Data Services Technician/CCNA

North State Communications
Data Services