Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 12:19:40 -0500
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Laptop dilemma (pccard woes)

Regis, can I phone a friend? I recently got a Toshiba Satellite 330CDS
and eventually got the pccard NIC working, and am quite happy with it
now. One of the guys I work with is a potential BSD convert, and I
offered to install on his Toshiba Satellite 225CDS laptop for him. I
was able to use the pccard NIC to do an FTP install over the LAN here,
but now I can't get it to recognize it since the reboot. I've removed
the word "disable" from the pcic1 line in the kernel (as I had to do
on the other laptop). I've copied the pccard.conf from /etc/defaults
to /etc. I've enabled it in /etc/rc.conf by adding:

pccard_enable="YES"
pccardd_flags=" -i 10"
pccard_mem="DEFAULT"
network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
pccard_ifconfig="inet 192.168.1.90  netmask 255.255.255.0"
(I only pasted the pccard relevant lines)

... I've swapped NIC's from one machine to another. the 3com 574 works
fine on the other machine, but neither NIC is found here. In the
dmesg, I get a "pccardc /dev/card0: device not configured" error, yet
there are card0-3 in my /dev. I noticed there's not even any pcic0
entries in my dmesg, unlike the machine that it works on.

Also, doing a "pccardc dumpcis" reports "0 slots found". I installed
through the NIC, so I know it's compatible. Anyone have ideas on what
I've missed?

-Otter