Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 14:01:09 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows)))

"David Schwartz" writes:

> > At 08:49 PM 7/7/2000, David Kelly wrote:
>
> > >I will not *buy* software to run
> > >under emulation. I would not buy the Linux version of Applixware. I
> > >will not buy a Linux version of WP8. I will not buy a Linux version of
> > >Opera. Considering that Opera will not be on my FreeBSD machines then
> > >its extremely unlikely to be purchased for my Macintosh.
>
> > Same here....
> > When and if vmware 2 goes native FreeBSD, I'll be buying it. I may
> > get opera, too, but only if a native version is released.
> >
> > Jamie
>
> 	If the version under emulation were officially supported, why
> wouldn't you buy it? Is it purely for 'religious' reasons?

If the package was officially supported for FreeBSD, then I would
consider it. If the vendor goes to the effort to test under FreeBSD and
stand by their results then the Linux issue is no more than Yet Another
Mandatory Runtime Library.

I don't use FreeBSD because I enjoy BSOD-of-the-day, incompatible DLL's,
incompatible-libc-version-of-the day, Linux-kernel-of-the-day, or any of
the other variants of unreliable software symptoms that others seem to
relish conquering in their daily use of computers. The sad thing is that
many believe that situation is normal and natural. Just as many used to
believe Detroit made excellent automobiles.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net