Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:38:01 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware that works

"James B. Wilkinson" writes:
> I've just looked through the 4.2 release notes regarding supported
> configurations. I didn't see anything about CD burners. Does having
> ATA among supported disk controllers mean that ATA CD burners should
> all work? (I also checked appendix F in the Handbook, but what's
> there seems to be about 5 years old, at least the part about burning
> CD's.) There are probably more places I should have found to look in
> but didn't.

Modern ATAPI CD drives work with FreeBSD. Ancient IDE CD drives took a
while to stabilize and unifiy their command interface. I know HP and
Sony CD-RW ATA drives work well with FreeBSD 4.2. A Philips 8/4/32 did
not work reliably and was returned. Not a FreeBSD problem as the Philips
drive had problems reading recordable media with every OS. Wrote OK but
just didn't read reliably.

There was a FreeBSD issue with the Philips in that doing a raw disc
verify "dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2k | md5" the disc read 1 block short. Not
a problem with HP ATA and SCSI drives, nor the one Sony 12/8/32 CD-RW
ATA drive I've used. Nor with an old 4x Sony IDE read-only.

> I've got a lab full of old 100-Mhz. Zenith Campus Z-Stations that I

Those ATA interfaces may not be fast enough to support a CD-RW drive.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net